On this page you will find a free printable metric ruler. Now if you need a ruler but can’t find one, you don’t have to go to the store. All you need is a printer and a pair of scissors. Select either the color metric ruler or the black and white one. When printing, make sure you don’t toggle on “Scale to Fit.” If you do, your ruler will probably not be correct.
Printable Metric Ruler
About the Metric System
Here’s some useful facts about the Metric System:
1. The Metric System was introduced by France in 1799.
2. The metric system is also known as the “International System of Units,” of “SI”
3. The fundamental unit of length in the International System of Units is the Meter. (Metre)
4. Since 1983 the meter has been defined as “The length of the path traveled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second.)
5. One centimeter = 0.393701 inch (in.)
6. One inch = 2.54 centimeters (cm)
7. The Metric System is used by all nations of the world except Burma, Liberia and the United States.
8. In the United States the metric system is widely used in the areas of science, military, and industry.
9. A centimeter = 1/100th of a meter
10. The circumference of the Earth at the equator is about 40,075 kilometers.
Teachers: You’re welcome to print as many of these paper rulers as you need for your classroom.